Monday, February 15, 2010

In observance of Lent!

I am choosing this year to observe the tradition of Lent. This tradition is usually a catholic tradition but other people from other faiths do chose to honor this time. The tradition is to deny you one earthly pleasure for 46 days leading up to the Easter session. Some would chose to not eat some type of food, or stop smoking or many other things. The more I looked into the history of this time, it just seemed more to me like a normal prolonged fast that was sanctioned by the catholic church in order to honor the Easter session.

I looked at my life and asked God and myself what could I give up for 40 days that would encourage me to seek after God? After prayer and thought I drew the conclusion that Music was something that I could give up…. When this first came to mind I was shocked with myself, I asked how could this work? I mapped out how it would work out and the following are the rules I will be following for 46 days starting Wed – Feb- 16 -2010.


  • This fast only deals with music that I would have control over.
  • Chapel Worship Does not apply in this fast.
  • If someone else that I am with starts music that will not apply
  • I can not request that someone else start music…

My friends will be aware of my fast

  • I will take the music off my IPod and use it for internet and School related purposes only
  • My ITunes will stay closed on my laptop.
Those are my goals that I hold for the earthly part of my fast…

The spiritual aspect of it all, I hope that obviously this will bring me closer to God. Also during the fast I pray that there would be new revelations of his Love and his care for me during this time. Also beyond my insecurities I hope and pray that God will use me during this time to show the love that I have found to other people…

No comments: